The Afforestation Manager:
- Manages all afforestation activities for the BRC Team.
- Preparation and implementation of annual establishment, management and production plans
- Responsible for the production of all the planting stock for the annual planting program
- Responsible for the delivery of the annual Operational Improvement Program
- Provide on the job training for the ZND Afforestation Team.
- Member of ZND Leadership Team
- Input into the tactical Forest Management Plan that meets FSC standards
- Preparation of annual planting, management and production activities for the BRC Afforestation programs
- Ensure the data in the Forest Management Information System (FIMS) is up to date and accurate.
- Manage the establishment land pipeline in collaboration with the Safeguards and Certification Lead.
- Input into preparing the annual budget for ZND
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to be kept up to date for all activities.
- Management of all ZND’s Plant Production Requirements, including management of Central and Satellite nurseries.
- Ensure there is a robust hand over from nursery to operations and all seedlings meet agreed Seedling Specifications.
- Ensure best generic material is used to produce seedlings for the afforestation and reforestation programs
- Ensure the BRC establishment program meets it’s objectives in terms of area and quality outlined in the annual plans.
- Achieve at least 95% mean weighted survival at 12 months
- All plantations under management of BRC to be maintained to the standard outlined in the forest management plans.
- Thinning and pruning to be done on time and to the standard outlined in the Forest Management Plan.
- All management to meet PNG FSC Standards.
- Ensure operational improvement program is implemented as outlined in approved plans.
- Manage nursery and establishment Quality Assurance surveys.
- Manage the Mensuration and Inventory Programs for the ZND Afforestation Program.
- Provide accurate monthly reports on the Afforestation Programs activity.
- Permit to work procedure to be used for all high-risk activities outlined in HSS plan.
- At all times works in accordance with the company’s Code of Conduct and Compliance System
- Works at all times to develop and promote a safety culture to employs, contractors and stakeholders.
- Works with the HSSE advisor on the development of Site Specific HSSE plans, JRAs and JMPs for the ZND Afforestation Program
- Other duties as required by the BRC / ZND management.
Context and environment
- Diverse and difficult physical environment.
- Requirement to operate in remote areas often in a small team when co-ordination and communication is essential. Overnight stay in remote locations.
- Working with landowners, communities, and other stakeholders. Purpose The Afforestation Manager is a Senior Position that will manage the afforestation program of BRC. The position is based in Port Moresby with operations in Central Province and potentially other Provinces within PNG. The position manages a team of professional plantation foresters working on plant production and plantation management.
Required Qualifications / Experience
- Degree in Agriculture/Horticulture/Forestry or related subject
- At least 10 years’ experience working in horticulture or plantation manager.
- Good level of interpersonal and communications skills
- Mediation and conflict resolution skills.
- Able to dialog, disclose information, negotiate with a range of stakeholders.
- Experience in research methods; data collection and management; analysis, interpretation and reporting
- GIS knowledge
- Ability to speak and write in English, and ability to learn conversational TokPisin