Position in the Organization Chart: Reports to the Chief Accountant
Our client is the Operator for the appraisal and development of the Elk/Antelope gas fields in the Gulf Province (PRL15), onshore Papua New Guinea and the offshore License of PPL 576 and PPL 589.
The company has entered front end engineering phase on the PRL15 Joint Venture, of which development studies technical surveys have to be performed on the ground before Final Investment Decision. (FID)
Prior to the Project phase, annual JV budgets operated by the company are in the range of $200-300 million.
HSE and Personnel Statement – At all times, the Job Holder will:
Ensure that the company’s accounting activities are being defined and implemented while respecting the group HSE standards and Code of Conduct.
The job holder is in charge and responsible for general accounting across the whole companies operated by the affiliate and will also including accounting of cash calls and billing on non-operated joint ventures. He or She is based in the Port Moresby office and is involved in the monthly general accounting, which includes monthly reconciliation of general ledgers and bank accounts, proposing journal entries, and monthly closing for reporting. The general accountant is part of the team responsible for the timely delivery of each monthly, quarterly, and yearly accounts closing processes and reporting.
- Ensure adherence to legal and contractual accounting standards.
- Ensure application of Joint Venture Operating Agreement, IFRS for accounting of OPEX and CAPEX, JV financial statements.
- Ensure the application of accounting procedures, standards and group accounting practices, considering any accounting changes and group accounting policies.
- Ensure compliance to fiscal reporting requirements.
- Ensure compliance with relevant Sarbanes-Oxley controls and requirements in respect of Finance processes.
- Prepare monthly general ledger reconciliation to understand and justify the monthly movement, propose journals to clear and or correct if an error is detected. Attention should be given to all reconciliation or clearing accounts.
- Prepare monthly general ledger reconciliation to ensure costs to ensure third parties rechargeable are identified and ensure Debit Notes and reallocations are prepared in a timely manner.
- Review weekly and monthly bank reconciliation prepared by the SSC team and signed off by management.
- Upload bank Statements and prepare weekly and monthly bank reconciliations for Papua LNG Development and ensure bank reconciliations are approved by management monthly.
- Ensure all general journals for Papua LNG Development are prepared, approved, and posted in SAP on time with approved documents attached to SAP as record.
- Review monthly reconciliation from SSC and manage staff debtors and other general debtors on a recovery trajectory.
- Liaise with the SSC team in Manila through the SNOW ticketing tool to ensure general journals proposed are posted in SAP and ensure these records are uploaded and kept in SAP.
- Ensure monthly and annual fiscal compliance and reporting are facilitated on time.
- Ensure snow tickets are reviewed and elevated if not actioned in time or closed if actioned.
- Reconcile and review asset movement per month and propose new asset creation or deletion.
- Assist Chief Accountant and Finance Manager on with matters relating to statutory audit and group and JV audits. The General Accountant may step in to assist with the preparation of the relevant financial statement prior to the audits.
- Assist the Contracts and Procurement Department to obtain all relevant supporting information and raise tickets for Vendor creations.
- Collect vendor information from stakeholders, create snow ticket to ensure vendor creation/modification in accounting system is done in a timely manner. Check that created vendors are conform to the request.
- Attend to the Workflow in addressing invoices in workflow basket.
- Assist the Chief Accountant with the monthly, quarterly, and annual closing process or may lead the team in performing monthly closure if required.
- Ensure company accounts are reconciled to fulfill SOX requirements prior to publication of quarterly and annual reports by the chief Accountant.
- Prepare and lodge tax forms and filings monthly.
- In the event of new accounting standards and processes, the general accountant may be required to study the standards and the process and test proposals to establish proper accounting process and journals.
Attend to queries from vendors and auditors etc. such as periodical account reconciliation and end of the year balance confirmation.
Context and environment
- The company, being the Operator of PRL15 will play a strategic important role in the development of Papua LNG.
- The company is a fast phase environment moving through different phases in the industry. The candidate must be able to keep up with the phase, adopt to new changes and add value.
- Ensures accuracy of accounts reporting and respect of IFRS, the company’s accounting standards and the fiscal environment.
- Ensures that accounting and finance records in SAP are updated and true and properly supported.
- Ensure proper accounting practices in line with the company rules and requirements.
- Degree in Accounting or equivalent
- At the CPA level with minimum of 5 years’ experience.
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical and computer skills especially in excel is necessary.
- Some knowledge of the Oil & Gas business or business environment is necessary.
- Good communication skills and ability to work with different teams at all levels (good team player) and ability to work in an international environment.
- Ability to maintain effective relationship with management, partners, vendors, and auditors, and lead the team if required etc.
- Ability to meet group deadlines.
If this sounds like you, register and APPLY NOW!
Applications close on Wednesday 23rd August 2023. This position is open to PNG nationals and only SHORTLISTED candidates will be contacted.