To provide geo-information analytical support for assigned exploration and development projects. This will require the integration of data, processing and generating insights for customers (Webmaps, reports, hardcopy maps etc.)..
- Provide expert advice and guidance to project teams to ensure optimum Geo-Information project support in line with Client Geo-information Strategy and Standards.
- Ensure all Geo-Information activities comply with standards/guidelines from Geo-Information strategy. Proactive implementer of Group and industry standards (for example geo-reference integrity, DCAF, GIS project structure, metadata, SSDM), and promotes such standards within complex multi-discipline projects.
- Define, improve and monitor Geo-Information management processes as part of the Corporate Data Management (CDM) activities in Data Management and Geomatics.
- h the Geo-Information Strategy.
- Support back-office corporate and project Geo-Information activities
- Support Wep map and My Map services and promote best practices in the use of ArcGIS Server as platform for My Maps.
- Support mobile mapping services
- Provide expert advice to Geomatics colleagues (e.g. operations, geodesy, remote sensing), partners and customers for GIS, data mining or Geo-Information management practices.
- Promote the effective use of Geo-Information and analysis in HSE activities through the design and implementation of fit for purpose data systems and web services.
- Where applicable work closely with Geomatics Operations to ensure adequate Geo-Information and mappings support is in place for operational activities, in particular managing deliverables for efficient update of corporate geo-information databases.
The Geo-Information Consultant has no budget control or direct reports, however the map data and products produced can have significant impact on Group investment decisions. Typically 80% of data in E&P has a geographical reference. A failure in the accuracy or integrity of Geo-Information can lead to millions of dollars of exposure - access delays to the information alone can lead to lost efficiencies and decisions made without complete data. The role is critical to many aspects of the business. The potential risks are as varied as the applications and processes that use GIS and Geo-Information. Data quality, accessibility, and accuracy are all risks especially when used in such activities as survey operations, emergency response, HSE management, production reporting, reserves mapping, prospect management, or play risking. An incorrect map can result in serious HSE incidents in the field when drilling, construction, or engineering staffs rely on the maps and exposure to significant costs associated with erroneous land evaluations.
- There is a key focus is on providing high value and timely mapping and data services to projects, combining data from a variety of internal and external sources using the common geographical reference.
- Ability to influence a broad range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Identifying and articulating the business value of the services and products produced.
- Sharing knowledge and experiences, adopting ideas of others, keeping abreast of new developments, recognizing technology gaps, knowing what competitors are doing.
- Ability to understand and communicate with customers and align services to customer needs
Bachelors degree (BSc), Masters degree (MSc) in a directly-related Geo-Information Science or related geoscience technical discipline from a recognized University.
- Six (6) to ten (10) years of relevant GIM and mapping/cartography experience, in the Oil and Gas Business. Experience in the use of ESRI Desktop, Server GIS applications, SQL, FME, AutoCAD, spatial programming would be advantageous.
- Ability to apply advanced theories, concepts, practices and techniques in GIS, Geo-Information management and related technologies.
- Ability to share knowledge of coordinate integrity issues and standards.
- Knowledge of common scripting languages and geoprocessing libraries is advantageous.
- Ability to recognize new opportunities for emerging technologies to impact the business.