Airswift is working with one of our major clients to find a Laboratory Technologist to join their team on a 2-year contract to work in Kitimat, BC.
This person will assist in developing, validating and implementing laboratory test methods to support lab sample testing for operational support, following all safety protocols and addressing safety issues when they arise. Will also ensure instruments are calibrated and maintained for optimum performance and will troubleshoot lab instruments when problems arise. In addition to this, the laboratory technologist will maintain lab consumables supplies, chemicals, and reagents.
You will use your expertise to:
During EXECUTE phase of the project (including module fabrication, pre-commissioning, commissioning, start-up and ramp-up):
- Engage with the wider production team to build a strong and coherent culture of collaboration between operations and laboratory.
- Assist in validating and implementing test methods.
- Assist in writing laboratory SOP’s
- Train laboratory team members on test methods
- Contribute in performing calibrations where needed on lab equipment.
- Contribute in developing preventative maintenance plans for lab equipment
- Contribute to the development of laboratory quality manual and safety manual
- Support in receiving ISO 17025 certification for the laboratory.
During OPERATE phase:
- Responsible for performing routine and ad-hoc testing on process samples and finished products
- Responsible for communicating abnormal and off-spec results to operations in a timely manner to facilitate operational adjustments if needed.
- Responsible for maintaining safety in the lab by following established safety protocols and raising safety concerns and solutions in a timely manner.
- Support regular health checks of laboratory quality management systems and provide feedback for improvement.
- Responsible for performing and maintaining a robust preventative maintenance plan for key lab equipment.
- Responsible for troubleshooting lab equipment when issues arise.
- Participate in quality non-compliance investigations and share learnings to drive continuous improvement.
- Accountable for maintaining inventory of lab supplies, chemicals and reagents for a smooth lab operation.
- Drive best-in-class performance by embracing a learner mindset to develop digitally enabled lab of the future leveraging technology and data.
To be successful, you will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or Chemical Technology Diploma or Chemical Engineering Technology
- 3+ years experience in LNG/Refining/Petrochemical or heavy industry operations
- Strong knowledge and experience with key lab equipment such as Gas Chromatography, IC’s, ICP, Titrators, Spectrophotometers, pH and conductivity meters etc.
- Strong computer skills - PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook
- Strong Knowledge of ASTM and Standard Water and wastewater testing test methods, ISO 17025 standard
This role requires that you:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada (i.e., by way of Canadian citizenship, permanent residency, or valid work permit)
- Regular 40/hrs./week with weekend and evening rotations
- Commissioning and Start up when assigned: 12hr rotating shiftwork. Additional hours will be required during turnaround to support execution.