The Company’s Solutions Relief and Flare team is hiring for a process engineer who has significant experience in process and process safety engineering in pressure relief systems including pressure relief device sizing and disposal systems. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing specialist pressure relief engineering expertise and assurance to projects and operations, including maintenance, inspection and turnaround, proactively interacting with other disciplines, teams, subfunctions and contractors to systematically resolve problems and applying advanced engineering judgement to assist in setting and implementing engineering technical practices, and drive integrated, pragmatic solutions focused on risk management, operating efficiency, defect elimination and standardization.
- Process engineer will provide mid level pressure relief process engineering experience to perform QA/QC for the Whiting Refinery Pressure Relief Management System MVP project using the Smith and Burgess SALUS database system.
- Support projects, technical inquiries, and Connexus cases by participating in reviews, technical analysis, troubleshooting, and acceptance/approval of pressure relief calculation files.
- Technical approval of site pressure relief device sizing and disposal system calculations by outside contractors/vendors.
- Prioritize and risk assess gaps in relief protection and disposal systems and work with site to rigorously address identified issues.
- Provide management of change (MOC) support for pressure relief changes as requested by the company’s sites.
- Troubleshoot pressure relief valve (PRV) and flare disposal system operational issues as requested.
- Participates in investigations, root cause identification, and drives continued learning across different sites
- Support of site technical documentation related to pressure relief valves and flare disposal systems (PRS calculation files, device spec sheets, unit summaries, disposal system or revalidation studies).
- Support Relief Systems Revalidation Projects and provide clarification to personnel of the company and external industry practices for pressure relief practices.
- Interface regularly with operations, maintenance and other site SME’s and specialists.
- Develops, clarifies, and implements policies, practices, and work processes for the lifecycle management of site pressure relief valves (Design, Operate, Maintain) and flare disposal systems.
- Bachelor’s of Science in Engineering, Chemical Engineering preferred.
- Strong process and process safety experience working in the oil and gas industry with focus in relief and disposal process engineering skills.
- Pressure relief device sizing and analysis.
- Desire to contribute to development of technical skills, lead improvement efforts, and provide assurance of codes and standards in the pressure relief discipline across all of production and operations.
- Demonstrated leadership and communication skills with consistent achievement of results over a wide range of situations across organizational boundaries.
- Strong communication skills that uphold company’s core values with safety as top priority in difficult situations.