Location: London, UK – hybrid working arrangements available.
Contract duration: initial 12 month contract.
Contract type: Ltd Co contract outside IR35 - hourly rate basis
Start Date: ASAP
Project: Large-scale lithium-ion battery factory
Recruitment Partner: Airswift
Account Manager: Ryan Kirkpatrick
As a leading global provider of engineering, procurement and construction management expertise to the energy, chemicals, and resources sectors we are proud to be in a position to expand our UK team and have partnered with Airswift to support our recruitment plans in 2023.
We are currently recruiting for a Safety Engineer to support a major EPCm to design, procure, build and commission a large-scale lithium-ion battery factory based in Skelleftea Sweden. The successful individual(s) will be engaged on an initial 12 month contract basis, outside of IR35 with Ltd Co options available.
Our project will establish a large-scale lithium-ion battery factory in the Sweden (the “Battery Factory”). The Battery Factory will manufacture batteries for consumer and industrial products, including electric vehicles and solutions for energy storage systems. The Next Generation Upstream expansion is aimed at increasing the production of Cathode Active Material (CAM) for processing into battery cells in the different Downstream buildings. The first phase of the site is set to produce its first batteries by the end of 2022. The present scope of works concerns the expansion of the site to further enhance the battery production from 16 GWh to 61 GWh. In terms of CAM, the expansion takes the first phase production of 25,800 tonnes per annum to approximately 98,000 tonnes per annum. Our current project scope includes the following different process steps, namely: -
- Metals dissolution
- Precursor synthesis
- Balance of Plant
- Wastewater - in addition to wastewater treatments of all upstream process flows but also small waste flows from the Downstream buildings.
Role Outline/ Responsibilities
Responsible for ensuring that the Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) aspects of the design within the project scope are maintained to the relevant acceptable standards and comply with applicable legislation. In addition, execute and monitor Safety Engineering activities which typically will entail:
- Ensure company standards and processes are followed across the technical safety and loss prevention activities and deliverables on this project as detailed in this job description.
- Assist with delivery of the activities and deliverables allocated to the location in accordance with the project schedule and Master document register.
- Gathering & compiling process safety and environmental information.
- Providing input to the preparation of a Safety Engineering Plan and Basis of Design
- Participation in and input to the various Hazard Studies
- Participate in Technical Safety Reviews such as Human factors, Hazardous Area Classification, Inherent Safety, Alarm Prioritisation, etc.
- Highlight to line manager where any additional Technical Safety reviews are necessary because of scope change, design development, etc.
- Ensure that all required Technical Safety activities and deliverables allocated are completed in line with project schedule.
- At the end of each project phase, ensure that all lists, files reports, etc. are filed correctly, ready for input to the next project phase.
- To support the Lead Safety Engineer, project management and engineering disciplines with design HSE concerns and queries.
- To support other Worley offices with requests for Technical Safety assistance on an Ad-Hoc basis.
- To support Client requests for discrete Technical Safety activities, e.g., Hazop Scribe.
In summary, the Safety Engineer, as part of the UK Safety Engineering discipline, ensures that the design is in accordance with the applicable standards and legislation.
- Relevant Safety or Chemical Engineering Degree or equivalent
- Experience working in a similar role is essential (3 years +)
- Experience in petrochemicals, power generation, oil and gas desirable.
- EPCm experience is desirable
- Some experience in performing consequence modelling using proprietary software i.e. PHAST.
- HAZOP/HAZID/Scribing Experience
- Experience of producing typical safety deliverables on a project.
- Previous experience of LiOH battery manufacturing processes, CAM, pCAM, Manufacturing plant design, Manufacturing facility layout and Industrial Hygiene would be advantageous
- Good communication and team working skills
- Ability to travel