The general intent of the Santos Ltd. Safety Specialist is to empower all stakeholders to achieve incident free operations in alignment with the Santos Ltd. Values. Empowerment is relationship-driven, with Santos Ltd. Safety Specialists providing consultation and technical support to fellow Santos Ltd. leaders, Contractor EHS representatives, and the workforce at large.
- Safety specialists are responsible for providing subject matter expertise, collaboratively developing solutions to problems, and providing EHS technical and functional support.
- This role works closely with contractors to ensure execution of their own EHS Plans, along with the Santos Ltd. Pikka Development Plans.
- Support and assurance are achieved through daily engagement with Santos Ltd. Leadership, field EHS Representatives, and Contractor workforce. Through Field Audits / Observations, sharing best practices, participation in Contractor safety meetings, and Weekly HSE Leadership Meetings.
The Safety Specialist operates in collaboration with other Environmental, Health, and Security staff, but functionally reports to the Safety Manager to ensure activities are in adherence to Santos Ltd. procedures, policies, and best practices. The Safety Specialist in an individual contributor role that carries out their daily duties in support of the Santos Ltd. Site / Project Managers.
- Candidates should possess 8-10 years of Safety experience, with experience in the oil and gas and/or construction industry.
- Candidates should possess experience working in a team environment, excellent communication skills, program development experience, and supervisory experience.
- Degree in Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene, or related sciences is desirable.
CSP, ASP or OHST certification is preferred.
Primary Duties and Knowledge
- Champion the Santos Ltd. Values and Santos Ltd. Safety Culture to develop a site culture that exemplifies a one team approach.
- Demonstrate Visible Santos Ltd. Leadership Values.
- Provide guidance and support to all stakeholders ensuring they understand their responsibilities and accountabilities for safe performance.
- Carry out safety assurance objectives..
- Act as the EHS technical authority for regulatory and compliance issues
- Seek to understand and resolve conflicts with any and all stakeholders
- Ability to respond to incidents Santos Ltd. Procedures.
- Must be willing and able to educate, coach and mentor workforce in safe work practices, and behaviors.
- Act as a resource and provide clarification to the field on regulatory compliance.
- Ensure compliance with all Santos Ltd. policies and procedures.
- Conduct Atmospheric Testing
- Permit Issuance when required.
- Provide contractor EHS oversight and assurance.
- PPE evaluation, implementation and control
- Participate in the development and review of JHAs & JSAs
- Project and job-specific required training audits
- Conduct worksite visits, observe work, collect data, and collaborate with Santos Ltd. Managers
- Assessments to ensure compliance with contractor and Santos Ltd. plans and procedures, and the Alaska Safety Handbook book.
- Conduct Santos Ltd. camp readiness and periodic inspections.
- Generate daily HSE report, attend daily, and contractor toolbox meetings.
- Track and analyze key performance indicators for trends and recommend corrective actions.
- Assist with Industrial Hygiene Field Monitoring / Sampling.
- Incident Securing of Evidence and Scene / Investigation / Reporting
- Develop and Implement Santos Ltd. field level safety programs collaboratively with the Santos Ltd. Leaders, Site Manager and Construction Superintendent.
- Support emergency response, community relations and environmental compliance / safety.
- Point of contact for field SDS (Safety Data Sheets) and hazardous materials storage and handling compliance.
- Other tasks relating to EHS as requested.
- Company IRM tool administrator and trainer
- Microsoft Office Power User - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, One Note, Teams
- Experience with Incident Risk Management Software
- Strong analytical, organizational, and multitasking skills.
- Must be well organized, efficient and be able to prioritize workload.
- Delivers results through realistic planning to accomplish goals.
- Good skills in oral and written communications.
- Builds strong relationships based on trust and seeks opportunities to collaborate across the matrix/organizational boundaries to achieve business goals.