The electrical engineer (EE) reports to the Electrical engineer team lead and will support our brownfield projects team for company for the discipline.
EE will work on voltages from 287kV down to 120V. The company’s power distribution system will be supplied by two BC Hyrdo 287kV transmission lines connected to our switchyard, we have new 69kV Gas-insulated switchgear (Siemens 8DN8), Air insulated switchgear (SIMOVAC-AR) and motor control centres operated at 6.9kV built by Siemens.
Our low voltage system is 600V Switchgear and Motor control centre built by ABB (MNS-SG/MNS-MCC). The electrical engineer will be trained to work on multiple large Adjustable speed drive with a horsepower rating of 25,000, and smaller 600V ABB ACS880 ASDs. The medium voltages drives are liquid cooled Siemens GH-150 units, and air-cool applications. The electrical engineer will have the opportunity to start two 25000HP Boil-off gas motors built by Siemens.
Activities will include:
- Ensure that all equipment within the discipline is purchased, installed and maintained according to the correct standards.
- Support senior engineer with performance standards for Safety Critical Element in the discipline are properly defined. Assure testing compliance in Execute and Operate phases of the project. Ensure quality records are stored in SAP.
- Contribute to the Asset Management System - Manage Equipment Care strategies.
- Participate and support Senior electrical engineer with Reliability Risk Management studies.
- Discipline input to the Manage Threats and Opportunities process.
- Be a focal point for Electrical Equipment Integrity, ensuring highest reliability of equipment by monitoring performance, identifying bad actors/threats and carrying out assurance activities.
- Support Maintenance through technical advice, guidance, execution assurance and direction.
- Interface with all stakeholders to ensure electrical activities are in accordance with the best practices, HSSE standards and Electrical Safety Rules.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills that inspire and energize people and create a clear sense of direction and priorities.
- Ability to positively influence people, effectively drive work processes and ensure compliance with policies
- Ability to drive execution and stretch the performance of people with a wide range of capabilities
- Comfortable with change and ambiguity such that informed decisions are made without undue delay
- Courage to hold strong to views when challenging current practices to encourage exploration of new ideas that drive improvement, i.e., Digitization
- Demonstrates a strong personal commitment to Diversity and Inclusion through collaboration across functional and cultural boundaries
- Develop the capabilities of others through coaching, mentoring, and providing growth opportunities that help people build their careers
You will use your expertise to:
- HSSE: To act always in accordance with the Policy on Health, Safety and Environment and provide assurance activities accordingly. You must provide very visible HSSE leadership to your team and the Asset.
- Process Safety: Based on a sound knowledge of the HSSE case, actively link your position with execution of Asset Management System (AMS) processes of maintaining and providing assurance of relevant hardware barriers and Safety Critical Elements.
- Cost: Plan, manage and effectively utilize resources (own time, contractor time, materials) to ensure your work is done efficiently, to the correct standards, and within budget. Ensure availability of adequate budget, by accurately contributing to the Maintenance Reference Plan (MRP).
- Mentor: Actively coach and develop future talent in the company organization for progression and to ensure continuity, minimizing dependency on professionals on assignment.
- Asset Management System (AMS): Actively participate in project task forces during Execute phase for AMS deliverables and manage AMS processes and tasks during Operate phase.
- Behavior: Actively participate in the culture of continuous improvement within an efficient self-contained, disciplined organization, in which everybody likes to work. Seek out and nurture partnership with communities, businesses and organizations in Kitimat and BC.
- Support and implements Electrical Reliability improvement initiatives.
- Support the development and implementation of medium to long-term strategies and projects in Electrical Engineering.
- Operations and Maintenance: Provides advice and guidelines to operations and maintenance for safe and proper operation and maintenance of electrical equipment.
- Develops, reviews or approves the design, engineering, procurement and implementation of electrical-related capital projects and plant changes.
- Identify and manages obsolescence issues for electrical.
- Review and provide feedback on plant electrical integrity studies to the electrical engineering lead.
- Serves as the electrical engineer in training for turnaround work scope identification and implementation.
- Verify adherence to electrical maintenance and operations procedures, standards.
- Assure through reviews and audits the integrity status of all critical electrical equipment/activities.
- Conduct and provide support to asset integrity status and reviews.
- Management of Change (MOC) and Deviation Management: Act as Technical person in line with Global requirement on MOC and Deviation Management. Monitor and control of deviations from planned electrical activities for safety critical equipment.
- Support Root Cause Analysis or Causal Leaning Process for defect elimination within the asset. Coordinate implementation of recommended actions per improvement plan. Promote the culture within the electrical team.
- Compliance Audit and Assurance: Provide support to maintenance and integrity compliance audits and bench marking processes in line with global requirements. Conduct assurance activities for electrical.
- Integrity & Maintenance KPIs: Implement KPIs that drive achievement in terms of cost, efficiency and Integrity. Promote electrical maintenance execution performance improvement based on the KPI’s.
- Spare/Material Management: Provide input into the operational spares requirement for all electrical maintainable assets using dominant failure modes and failure rates, best practices within the industry. Incorporate risk-based approach where applicable.
- Contract and Procurement: Manage contract effectively to ensure delivery of specialist services efficiently and safely.
To be successful, you will have:
- Degree in electrical or equivalent with minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in oil and gas, heavy industry.
- Engineer in training (EIT) licensed to practice in the province of BC (EGBC) or Engineer in training (EIT) eligible for EGBC registration.
- Experience in both maintenance execution support and major project teams.
- Proven track record of working within multi-discipline teams and demonstrable delivery of value to customers.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and able to recognize potential discipline opportunities/threats.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, the ability to listen well, good organizational skills, comfortable with change and being able to respond rapidly to it.
This role requires that you:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada (i.e., by way of Canadian citizenship, permanent residency, or valid work permit)
- Know that as part of the company’s commitment to protect the health and safety of its personnel and the communities in which it operates, the company requires all Canada-based employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The company will consider accommodation requests from individuals in accordance with applicable human rights legislation.
- Relocate to Kitimat/Terrace region
- During the Construction, Commissioning and Start-up phase you will work 50hrs/week, 10 hr. days, at times not every Saturday and Sunday off.
- During Operate phase, 40 hrs. per week, M-F
- Willing to work in inclement weather, which includes rain, snow, wind and heat.
- Willing to climb stairs and be at heights, when in the field.
- Know that this is a key role that requires a strong field presence.
- Are willing to comply with company’s drug-free and harassment-free work environment and comply with all safety policies and procedures.
- Undergo a pre-placement medical assessment of your fitness for duty, a background check and Pre-Site Access testing for alcohol and specified drugs.