Airswift - Automation Engineer - 2+ year contract assignment.
Our client is seeking an Automation Engineer IV for a 2+ year assignment located in North Carolina.
The Automation Engineer manages work in engineering areas of specialization, with minimal supervision. The Automation Engineer is expected to develop advanced skills and to have the ability to work independently, with guidance limited to unusual or complex projects or issues. Employees in the Automation Engineer position are fully competent in the use of concepts and procedures. The Automation Engineer identifies problems, develops solutions, and takes action to resolve. The incumbent will act as a System Automation and Integration Matter Expert (SME) for the application and deployment of automation and control applications for distributed energy resources and the distribution system. The new distribution grid is requiring more edge computing, automation, and integration of communications. This includes the application and deployment of Microgrids, high-speed edge switching systems for reliability, programming, commissioning, and virtual maintenance of distributed automation controllers for switching and distributed energy resource integration, machine to machine communication schemes such as local field area networks and communications over fiber networks for the group and switching. The incumbent will also support the integration of advanced voltage controls and systems, including the application of advanced power electronics such as solar and battery inverter control systems and static var compensators. The incumbent will also work jointly with their System Protection Engineering and Technical Support Specialist peers to support ongoing regionally focused Customer Delivery major project and asset management work.
- Application of automation & control standard settings, logic, and control templates
- Application and integration of standardized components, automation controls, and communications devices into standardized systems to support localized and advanced grid automation concepts
- Support application and commissioning for advanced automation (device to SCADA and peer to peer), voltage control (regulator, capacitor, power electronics), and line sensor integration
Support OT Security and Firmware management efforts with OT Security, CD OAS, and CD Program Governance
- Support field commissioning, testing, and maintenance of automation systems on Customer Delivery, such as Underground Switching, Auto Throw Over, Self-Healing/Fault Isolation System Restoration, DER Integration, Microgrid, and Voltage Control Systems
- SME input into training and work method related documentation and training artifacts
- Support regional and major project deployment, including factory and field acceptance testing of new and existing concepts, working with switchgear, smart components, communications, and other control components with internal Subject Matter Experts from other related support groups.
- Application and integration of various sensing, control, and communications capabilities into technical standard solution systems
- Close working cooperation with peer teams, including Subject Matter Experts teams of CD Operational and Automation Standards, CD Equipment and Construction Standards, and other stakeholders within
- CD Asset Management
- Mentorship and peer leadership with fellow engineers
- Collaborate to actively provide technical guidance for all deployments.
- Provide leadership for Technical Leads.
- Provides engineering/technical expertise and guidance in the identification, analysis and resolution of problems of increasing scope and complexity in both inside as well as outside the scope of typical responsibility.
- Ensures accomplishment of business goals and objectives through effective planning, organizing, estimating, scheduling, and monitoring of work activities; decisions may affect the operations or results of the work group and may have some impact on major projects or department results.
- Prepares thorough and accurate technical reports, correspondence, documentation, calculations, and sketches related to defined problems and analysis of increasing scope and complexity.
- Conducts engineering and related studies; completes non-routine engineering projects with minimal oversight with the ability to independently manage project schedules and interfaces; competent to design, operate and maintain systems with moderate impact on existing systems.
- Possesses and applies the fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures; proficient in technical and analytical competencies necessary to handle assignments of increasing complexity.
- Develops positive working relationships to effectively coordinate work activities. Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills. Maintains accurate records and files.
- Supports the company's goals and represents the company positively and professionally.
- Must have obtained Bachelor of Science in Engineering from an ABET accredited program or PE
- Minimum of 6 years of engineering experience or 5 years of engineering experience with state registration as a Professional Engineer.
- A master's degree in engineering will be considered in lieu of the B.S. Engineering degree.