Houston, United States
Oil & Gas - LNG
Engineering & Design
November 17, 2023
Our client, a major LNG Company is seeking a Senior Piping Engineer to work within their facilities located in Houston, TX for a 1year contract.
The ideal candidate will have significant experience in the oil and gas industry, including several years’ experience in liquefied natural gas (LNG) facility design and a comprehensive understanding of industry codes and standards. This individual will play a critical role in the design and drafting of complex piping systems.
Experience with materials take-offs for piping systems, preparation of bills of material, piping materials specifications and technical evaluation of bids and purchase requisitions would be an asset.
• Serves as senior piping representative during FEED, detailed design, procurement, construction, commissioning, start-up, and operation of projects.
• Collaborates with the Engineering team to ensure that facilities are designed to be safe, fit-for-purpose, and meet the specified operational standards.
• Leverages expertise in LNG piping systems to contribute to detailed design, field installation, commissioning, start-up and operation projects.
• Reviews and develops detailed piping system layouts and schematics using 3D modeling software.
• Understands and applies relevant industry codes and standards for oil, gas, and LNG facilities to the design of piping systems.
• Reviews EPC contractor deliverables including data sheets, design bases, specifications, isometric drawings, P&IDs, line lists, engineering calculations, vendor documents, engineering studies, scopes of work, and material take-offs.
• Contributes to the creation of data sheets, drawings, material requisitions, technical evaluations, and equipment specifications for piping, including special equipment.
• Participates in design reviews, risk assessments, and safety studies and other technical evaluations, including process hazard analyses, 3D model reviews, and constructability reviews.
• Facilitates piping and special equipment related technical discussions with partners such as equipment suppliers, regulators, and technology partners.
• Oversees the creation of monitoring and preservation programs and ensures their successful implementation to ensure target facility reliability and availability.
• Participates in commissioning activities such as walk-downs, inspections and pre start-up safety reviews.
• Supervises the EPC contractor on-site to ensure piping and special equipment is delivered, installed, and maintained in accordance with project standards and specifications, design, and contractual terms.
• Potential relocation to jobsites, and travel assignments to fabrication yards, project sites, or engineering offices, which may include locations outside of the United States.
Minimum experience required for the position
• 10+ years experience as a Piping Engineer on similar large oil & gas projects
• 5+ years experience in the execution phase of LNG liquefaction projects
Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required of the position
• Proficient in 3D modeling software such as AutoCAD, PDMS, SP3D, Navisworks, or similar.
• Ability to work to project deadlines, assuring the accuracy and timely completion of deliverables.
• Working knowledge of project documents such as PFD’s, P&ID's, 3D models, piping stress analysis, routing, equipment specifications, packaged equipment, vendor documents, and commissioning and start up procedures.
• Working knowledge of typical work processes employed in the execution of large-scale EPC projects, including management of change, design change evaluations, and requests for information.
• Strong working knowledge of the hydrocarbon processing industry, including LNG, refining, and petrochemicals.
• Expert knowledge of industry codes and standards (API, ASME ANSI, ISO).
• Experience with the review of specifications for piping, valves, insulation, and related items for projects.
• Expert knowledge in the design and specification of manual valves, control valves and piping specialty items.
• Good peripheral knowledge of the contribution of other disciplines such as control systems, rotating equipment, and process engineering to the success of project execution.
• Mechanical Engineering or specialist degree
• Communicates effectively at all levels of the organization to ensure clarity in expectations requirements, and deliverables
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
• Comfortable working and collaborating with a major EPC
• Team player with solid presentation and reporting skills
• Welcomes working in a fast paced, challenging and diverse environment