26 Sep 2023
Radiation Protection Officer
Airswift are a Global Manpower Provider specialising in the Energy, ...
Airswift are a Global Manpower Provider specialising in the Energy, Infrastructure & IT sectors. Present in more than 70 countries around the world, our reach, and capabilities in the markets we service is unparalleled in the industry.
We are working with a Major Oil & Gas operator to source a Radiation Protection Officer. This is a long-term contract role working on a residential basis. Please see details below.
Title: Radiation Protection Officer
Start Date: ASAP
Duration: 36 Months
Location: Qatar Site (Ras Laffan) / Doha HQ
Working Schedule: 6 days per week / 10 hours per day
• To establish & steward Radiation Protection Protocols for the NFXP Onshore Project across all EPC Packages including Health Risk Assessment for activities associated with ionizing radiation and Naturally Occurring Radioactive Materials (NORM).
• To advise the EPC Contractor and participate in formalizing the strategies and tactics relating to the technical and regulatory requirements for the radiation protection program in the NFXP Onshore project.
• To provide oversight on radiation protection programs, including the implementation of those programs, in order to support safe execution of radition activites on the project.
• To help ensure that radiation protection activities in the NFXP Onshore Project are being performed in accordance with the approved radiation protection procedures and Ministry of Environment and Climate Change (MoECC) regulatory requirements.
Key Job Accountabilities
• Provide oversight on the EPC Contractor and specialist subcontractor who will develop, document and implement a Radiation Protection Porgams consistent with project and regulatory requirements.
• Liaise with the client Radiation Protection Officer (RPO), as the focal point for MoECC on all matters related to radiation, including licenses and their renewals for nucleonic devices containing sealed radioactive source and radiation generating equipment.
• Review contractor/ subcontractor written procedures for radiation work (e.g. contractor method statement, radiation safety / protection procedures, safety manual, job safety analyses) and ensure contractor procedures, and control measures are suitable and sufficient for radiation work.
• Ensure that the EPC Contractor confirms and maintains up to date, that radiation workers’ and RPOs license from MoECC are valid and up-to-date. Help ensure that the EPC Contractor has a program in place that provides information to those involved in radiation activities on the potential health risks, and effective use of personal protective equipment(PPE), procedures required to minimize exposures to radioactive materials. Ensures that the EPC Contractors/Subcontractor identify and classify the controlled and supervised areas for radiography and intermediate storage. Ensure adequate physical barricading with appropriate warning signs are established. Ensure that contractors maintain properly calibrated and operable radiation survey meters that can detect low radiation levels and contamination levels. Ensure that TLD badges and Radiation equipment calibration should be done from the MoECC approved party only.
• Collects data on a quarterly basis, by physical inventory to account for all sealed radiation sources under the control of EPC Contractors.
• Provides input and oversight on the location, design and specification for storage of radio-active isotopes to help ensure it meet the applicable regulatory requirements.
• Confirms that the EPC Contractor/ subcontractors has written operating emergency procedures on radiation protection / safety that are approved by the MoECC. Provides oversight on classified persons including requirements for calibrated personal dosimeters and Thermo Luminescent Dosimeter (TLD) badges with submission to an accredited laboratory of MoECC in line with risk assessment requirements.
• Perform routine site inspections at contractors’ work sites of EPC1,2,3&4 and audits to ensure compliance to applicable regulations.
• Relevant degree or HNC , or significant relevant experience and trade qualification.
Knowledge and Key Skills
• Minimum of 10 years experience in Industrial Radioaction Protection / Radiation Safety or related field.
• Completion of training for radioactive protection officer / radiation safety officer in industrial applications from an accredited training center.
• Sound knowledge and Experience on the application of radiation safety principles, standards, procedures, and guidelines, judging their appropriateness and determining the necessity for adapting them.
• Experience in handling Naturally Occurring Radioactive Materials (NORM), radioactive waste management in oil and gas industry.
If you would like to be considered for the position, please apply direct to this advertisement with your CV with contact details.