Printing Production Manager
The Production Manager is responsible for providing technical supervision and monitoring the printing resources for the Print Facility and ensure the most efficient and cost effective use of production facilities, and to provide a technical/training service to all staff in the print facility.
The incumbent is also responsible for developing and maintaining an effective technical production workflow service for the prepress and print facility and to ensure that customer expectations are adhered to and met at all times.
Understand the company’s current and future requirements and ensure strategic planning caters for those needs; to recommend strategies to meet those needs in achieving its corporate objectives.
Ensure the consistent application of the company’s core values and management standards.
The incumbent therefore must possess and display initiative, judgement and a degree of independence in identifying problems, researching solutions and taking appropriate action to develop the capabilities, systems and performance of the business.
- Monitor and ensure print schedule is met and any service level agreements with key customers are adhered to at all times.
- Operate the production control systems and setting targets in conjunction with the Prepress Supervisor and the Print Supervisor for work to be processed by the facility, providing weekly and monthly reports to the General Manager for performance measurement and discussion.
- Report regularly on production and cost targets.
- Prepare and ensure standard safe operating procedures.
- Ensure all materials and hours worked, are charged accordingly.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the GM consistent with the nature and status of the position.
- To assist in customer enquiries through the assigned salesperson as and when required.
- Regularly reviewing new developments and advising the General Manager of opportunities relevant to improving the Print facility capabilities.
- Provide detailed project management procedures and services for all aspects of the prepress and print facility workflow.
- Assist with the preparation of offset print quotations and estimates as required.
- Assist the quote/estimator in deciding which orders are to be produced by the print facility and which orders may or should be printed digitally or elsewhere.
- Assist in the preparation of Annual Budget estimates/projections.
- Provide technical “hands on” training advice to all current and potential print facility staff.
- Provide technical advice to all pressroom operators in the use of equipment and materials within the facility and undertake certain print operations personally as and when required.
- Develop and implement a training program for all new and existing staff in the use of new and existing equipment.
- Interview potential new staff in liaison with HR and make recommendations to the General Manager to ensure the prepress and print facility is fully staffed at all times.
- Identifying specific training needs including outside study courses and advising the General Manager through recommendation of suitable candidates.
- Ensure that clear instructions are given to staff at each stage of production, and monitor the actual progress of work against the production schedule.
- Develop and maintain an efficient stock control system.
- Request and issue orders for materials required to maintain stock levels within the prepress and print facility.
- Carrying out regular stock checks and annual stock taking duties.
- Monitor all equipment and resources of the print facility to ensure that the best technical use is maintained.
- Monitor and review equipment and materials in use and report developments to the senior management team for action.
- Provide advice on prepress on the requirements of equipment maintenance controls and schedules.
- Organize and supervise staff and resources engaged in the Print facility to ensure full operational coverage at a minimal cost at all times during operating hours.
- Maintain and develop effective workflow systems for the receipt and control of all work received in the Print facility and work received from the prepress section.
- Supervise and archive customer supplied artwork and all documentation relating to the particular job including task sheet, plates/negatives and any other job specific items whilst in the care of the prepress and print facility.
- Maintain necessary contact with major key customers and industry associations to achieve the objectives of the pre-press and print facility.
- Develop new business opportunities and attend to key accounts personally to ensure product and distribution arrangements meet client requirements.
- Liaise with GM regarding customer’s requirements, status of workflow, market pricing trends and capacity to meet commitments.
- Liaise with the GM re audit requirements.
- Ensure audit compliance initiatives and adherence to company policy and procedure related to Biz Print Operations
- Ensure all business activities comply with company policies & procedures, relevant Acts, legal demands and OHS standards.
Policies & Procedures
- Ensure existing policies and procedures are developed and reviewed on an annual basis and/or based on specific business needs.
- Monitor best in class operations support practices, and benchmark current company policies & procedures regularly with regional and international best practice.
- Ensure appropriate policies and procedures are developed, maintained and updated to support company business planning.
- Ensure appropriate department policies and processes are strategically designed/ aligned to support business strategy and performance.
Health & Safety
- Effectively promoted health and safety programs targeting zero harm work-related injuries and illnesses within the department.
- Maintain a culture of safety awareness underpinned by an understanding of the principles of duty of care.
- Initiate and implement safe work processes and procedures within the business to ensure a safe and healthy work environment is created for all staff and stakeholders.
- Improve and implement new working procedures to ensure quality of work is maintained in the most effective and efficient manner.
- Actively assume the role of Quality ‘champion’ to ensure adherence to work processes & procedures and standards in areas of responsibility.
- Check and sample all finished product prior to delivery to ensure the expected quality standard is maintained.
- Establish quality standards, including checking and inspection of completed work before delivery.
- Assist with prepress dept and liaise with prepress Supervisor as required to ensure quality is maintained at all times.
Education & Qualifications:
- Tertiary Qualification in Print and Media industry
- Certificate in Sales & Marketing
- Post Graduate qualification in Print and Media
- Certificate in pre-press and print facility in a similar industry
- 10+ years’ experience in senior management roles within the Print Industry
- In managing a diverse operations service function
- Understanding of strategic planning models
- Experience of participating in management teams in designing major change initiatives
- Understanding of cultural diversity and project delivery through a multicultural team
- Strong analytical skill and accurate business judgement
- To use strategic intuition to identify value creation business opportunities
- Strong presentation, communication and negotiation ability
- Ability to communicate strategic intent and project the need for strong team working
- Ability to select and implement appropriate strategies and leverage intellectual capital and technical systems to optimise the operational support Department
- Demonstrated analytical, strategic and conceptual thinking skills with the ability to research and analyse complex information, identify risks and opportunities and plan and develop mitigation strategies to drive operational support performance.
- Strong level of organisation with an exact attention to detail